Thursday, September 07, 2006

Taxman

The NZ Government has today very generously agreed to providing a $14m interest-free loan to Right Hemisphere a 3D graphic design world leading brand, as an incentive to keep their business in New Zealand. The company employs around 100 staff in New Zealand and in the U.S. (via)
Well... I don't know what to say. There goes some of our tax money to a USA company, that makes software to convert CAD files into nice looking powerpoints...

Meanwhile, you know that I have been too buisy this last couple of months trying to speed-up all the graphic work that we should gladly outsource, but we have no money to give that work to a professional graphic designer! I could be working on my area, research and development of new products, but no. Here I am, stuck to the photoshop.

From my point of view, it is a terrible idea to give money (with cero interest) to foreign companies... or give free design consultation, audit and funding to NZ companies that are already exporting more than 3 millions NZD a year! Excuse me, but companies like Methven or Fisher & Paykel should be spending their own money on design development and market research... not be funded by other companies tax money! The small companies are the ones that need money to get into global shape!

I know, because it has been really hard for Special Kiwis to strategically put ourselves as a multinational company... there are many things that we have to do like "the big leagues" in order to be competitive (like having somehow acceptable graphic design). I am still quite motivated about that, but it's sad to see that there's little or no support for companies like us, while the big ones get free government funding. How can we compete (even locally) with that?

This like the Pink Panther story about taxation... our Kingdom taking money from the poor to give to the rich. Shouldn't that be the other way 'round? Specially with a labourist government.

ciao

Bookmark and Share

4 Comments:

Blogger Roolhaas said...

After all I have been eating and my lack of excersice I am getting pretty fast into a global shape!

Greetings from the land where everything happens in slow motion, it has been july 3rd all this days until the day before yesterday!

r.

2:08 pm  
Blogger Fernando Vallejo said...

LOL! My tummy hurts.

Just go easy on the Benito's pizzas...

Well, that on the political sphere... as for our parapodiums it has been also some slow motion.

ciao

3:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to report that Benito's Pizzas are no longer any good... thanks God we still have a few options so we can avoid Dominos ^_^

For what it's worth, I think the Kiwis site is very nice looking, and even feels like a real company (well I know it's a real company, but you get the idea)

Keep up the good work!

9:31 am  
Blogger Fernando Vallejo said...

Thanks man! That really means a lot.

ciao

2:25 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home